If your iPhone 5S power/sleep/wake-up button is no longer responding at all or is stuck hard to push, then most probably it might be defective.
Unfortunately, the power button issue is the most common problem associated with the iPhone 5S device since its launch. Recently, Apple even initiated a repair program, to counter the exceedingly high failure rates regarding iPhone5S power button, for all the iPhone 5S users.
Now to repair/replace the power button of your iPhone device, you can opt for the DIY repair as it is not as tedious. But in case if your device is under warranty then you should definitely consult the valid service centre for your repair work.
Befor you head over to Apple Customer Service You should try to fix the power/sleep/wake-up button of your iPhone5S, follow the step by step tutorial mentioned below:
- Phillips #000 Screwdriver.
- Pentalobe Screwdriver.
- Flathead Screwdriver.
- Plastic razor Tools.
- Suction Cup.
- Tweezers tool.
- Spudger tool.
- SIM Card Extract Tool.
- Switch off your iPhone device.
- With your Pentalobe screwdriver, just unscrew and remove both of the Pentalobe screws (3.9 mm) located right near the Lightning connector.
- Place the suction cup on the screen and press it right above the home button.
- Just hold your iPhone with your one hand and pull the front panel up with the suction cup to slightly detach the home button end from the rear case assembly.
- Use your plastic razor tool to carefully open up the rear case edges down and pull up the suction cup simultaneously.
- Now detach the suction cup from the front display.
- Then open-up your device till its metal bracket wrapping the home button cable, is revealed.
Reminder: Be cautious not to open your device too much as it might damage the home button cable or its socket.
- With your spudger tool tip, just pop off the bracket and detach it with tweezers tool.
- Again with the spudger tool tip, disconnect the home button cable connector from its socket.
- After releasing the connector, just open up your device from the home button end by using your device’s top as a hinge.
- Now unscrew and remove all the Phillips screws (two 1.7 mm, a single 1.2 mm and a single 1.3 mm screw) which attaches the front panel assembly cable bracket with the logic board.
- Then detach the front panel assembly cable bracket away from the logic board.
- With your spudger tool’s flat end, just pop off the front-facing camera as well as the sensor cable.
- Firmly hold the front panel and detach the digitizer cable connector.
- Pop off the LCD cable connector.
- Finally detach the front panel assembly away from the rear case.
Step 4: iPhone 5S battery:
- Now with your Phillips screwdriver, just unscrew and remove both of the Phillips screws (two 1.6 mm) which attaches the metal battery connector bracket with the logic board.
- Then detach the metal battery connector bracket away from your device.
- With your spudger tool’s flat end, carefully detach the battery connector from its socket on the logic board.
Reminder: You don’t need to remove the battery now.
Step 5: SIM Card:
- Just press the SIM card extract tool or any paperclip right into the tiny hole of the SIM card tray.
- Then detach the SIM Card tray assembly as well as the SIM Card from your device.
Step 6: Logic Board:
- With your spudger tool, carefully detach the button assembly cable away from its socket on the logic board.
- Again with your spudger tool, disconnect the Lightning connector cable from its socket on the logic board.
- Then gently lift the Lightning connector cable from the logic board.
- With the spudger tool tip, detach the antenna cable away from its socket on the logic board.
- Then with the spudger tool’s flat end, just pry the rear-facing camera cable up from its socket on the logic board.
- Now unscrew and remove all the screws (a single 2.4 mm, two 2.3 mm, four 2.8 mm standoff screws) from the logic board.
- Then just slightly detach the logic board from the rear facing camera.
Reminder: Don’t detach the logic board completely just yet, as it might still be attached with an antenna cable.
- Turn over the logic board towards the battery.
- With your spudger tool’s flat end, just pop off the antenna cable on the logic board’s back.
- Then just detach the logic board away from your device.
Step 7: Rear facing Camera:
- With the tweezers tool, just toss the rubber camera cover from its clip out of the rear case.
- Then detach the rear-facing camera away from the rear case.
Step 8: Camera bracket:
- Unscrew and remove both of the Phillips screws (two 1.6 mm) which attaches the rear-facing camera bracket.
- Then detach both the rear-facing camera bracket as well as the rubber camera bumper away from the rear case.
Step 9: iPhone 5S battery removal:
- Just press the spudger tool tip right into the battery adhesive tab’s tiny hole, located near the headphone jack.
- Slightly raise the adhesive tab up and with the spudger tool just detach the tab from its recess.
- Grab the battery adhesive tab straight up from the phone.
- Use the scissor to cut and separate the black battery adhesive tab right between the two white adhesive strips.
- Then grab and pull the innermost adhesive tab straight up and evenly around the battery corner till the strip gets freed from the device.
- Again grab and pull the outer adhesive tab straight up and evenly around the battery corner until it is freed from the device.
- Just detach the battery away from the rear case.
Step 10: Power button removal:
- First unscrew and remove the 1.3 mm Phillips screw with your Phillips screwdriver, which attaches the logic board grounding bracket with the rear case assembly.
- Then detach the logic board grounding bracket.
- Now unscrew and remove the 2.1 mm Phillips screw with your Phillips screwdriver, which attaches the contact clip with the power/sleep button bracket.
- Detach the contact clip from your device.
- Use the spudger tool’s flat end to free the upper component assembly cable from the rear case.
- With the spudger tool’s tip, just release the microphone portion of the assembly away from the case.
- With the tweezers tool, just release the power button bracket from the rear case.
- Use your spudger tool’s tip, to slightly push the power button into the device.
- Then with the tweezers tool just remove the power/sleep/wake-up button.
- Replace the old power button with the new one.
- To reassemble your iPhone 5S device, just follow the above steps in reverse order.
Now your iPhone 5S device possesses a brand new Power/Sleep/Wake-Up button.