Your iPhone 5 device is attributed by a solid metal shield plate attached right behind its LCD screen which provides a protection barrier. This solid metal shield plate is bolted right into the LCD screen’s rear frame.
Apart from providing a protection barrier, this LCD Metal Plate Shield also keeps all the device internals safe from excessive heat by controlling the temperature conducive to function.
Now in case, if your iPhone 5 LCD Shield Plate is damaged, you can even opt for a DIY repair as it is quite easy to perform it.
This article focuses on the step by step tutorial to repair/replace iPhone5 LCD Shield plate:
- Phillips #000 Screwdriver.
- Pentalobe Screwdriver.
- Plastic razor tools.
- Suction Cup.
How to Repair your iPhone 5 LCD Shield Plate?
- Put your iPhone5 device into power off mode.
- Then unscrew and remove both of the Pentalobe screws (two 3.6 mm screws) located near the Lightning connector.
- Use the suction cup to press just above the home button on the screen.
- Now holding your device down with just one hand, use the suction cup to detach the front panel away from the rear case assembly.
- With your plastic razor tool, carefully start to pull up the front panel with your suction cup, while you pull down the rear case.
- Slide the razor tool around the edges of the front panel assembly and detach all the clips coming in its way.
- After the clips are released on the sides as well as the bottom of the front panel assembly, just detach the front panel assembly’s bottom away from the rear case assembly.
- Now gently pull the front panel assembly up to around 90 degrees (perpendicular) from the rear case.
- Just unscrew and remove all the Phillips screws (two 1.2 mm screws and a single 1.6 mm screw) which attaches the front panel assembly cable bracket with the logic board assembly.
- Just detach the front panel assembly cable bracket away from the logic board assembly.
- With the plastic razor tool, just pop off all the front panel assembly cables including the digitizer cable, LCD cable and the sensor cable as well as the front-facing camera cable.
- Then just detach the front panel assembly away from the rear case.
Step 4: LCD Shield Plate removal:
- First of all just unscrew and remove all the Phillips screws (two 1.2 mm screws each side) from the LCD frame (which means in total four Phillips screws).
- Then just unscrew and remove both of the screws (a single 2.6 mm screw and a single 1.4 mm screw) attaching the LCD shield plate with the front display assembly.
- Now separate the LCD shield plate away from the display assembly.
- You are left with the bare LCD Shield.
- Replace the LCD shield plate with the new one.
- Now to reassemble your iPhone5, follow the above steps in reverse order (back from Step 4 to Step 1).
Now, your device is equipped with a brand new LCD Shield plate.